Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cite or Smite?

Plagiarism Blur for Students In Digital Age
     This article is about students that are copying and pasting from websites and don't realize that it's a very serious offense.  Since the internet provides so much information for a student to access, this could be influencing how students look at the authorship of a text or image. Donald L. McCabe took a survey over 4 years and found that in a group of 14,000 students, 40 percent admitted to taking a few sentences and puting them in their assignments. The percentage of those who think that plagiarism is "cheating" is declining, from 34 percent down to 29 percent.  "You’re not coming up with new ideas if you’re grabbing and mixing and matching," said Ms. Wilensky.
     I think the article is spot on when it talks about how plagiarism is tainting our creativeness. Although I am saying that I agree with the article, I have also engaged in plagiarism.  Throughout the beginning my highschool career, papers just didn't interest me. So I did what any normal high schooler would do. I went to the internet for help. It's easy when all the words are there. You only have to click the mouse a bit and press a few buttons.

1 comment:

  1. Good summary and response of the article on plagiarism. Nice creative title and the photo is perfect! Be careful of all of your micro errors (not capitalizing "I", high school is one word, copying and pasting, not copy and pasting, no need to spell out 14,000, punctuation problem at the end of the second paragraph (i.e., So I did what any normal high schooler would do. I went to the internet for help. It's easy when all the words are there. You only have to click the mouse a bit and press a few buttons).
    I question your statement about rationalizing plagiarism in cases where the assignment may be boring. I don't think there is any justification for plagiarizing.

    ReplyDelete